May 24, 2012

Think Before You Speak

The really sad thing about me having a blog is that I feel like once I decide to post, it is for a cause or a complaint.


Today is no different. . .hear me out.

I've testified numerous times that God has taken and used certain things in my life, brought them together when they didn't really "fit" together, and worked his little puzzle of magic. . .


That was confusing, wasn't it??

Let me start at the beginning.

Scene 1:  There is a situation going on at school that I am very unhappy about disappointed with.  There is a special needs student involved, and I cannot divulge any further details.  I will say, though, that we are trying to do what is best for the student.  My heart is breaking for the mom--no one wants to hear that something is "wrong" with your child.  That's where we as teachers have to make sure we can put on our "compassion" hats and be able to take care of the family as well as the child. 

Anyway, in the midst of mom asking questions (which she should), being in denial (I would be, too), and requesting further meetings from the teachers (she should do this, too), people have begun talking.

Making remarks.

Not kind remarks.

What if this was your child?  What if this was your situation?  What if you found out that your child has special needs?

How would you feel to know there were people that were huffing, heaving deep sighs, and making complaints about having to "deal with" the situation? 



You don't even have to answer.

Scene 2:  A sweet friend of mine is getting ready to embark on a journey that she is NOT looking forward to.  Her life is going to change dramatically, and she isn't the least bit excited about it.  She's sad.  She's frustrated.  She's trying to be positive surviving.

You would need to understand, this person DOES NOT COMPLAIN.  She takes everything in stride.  She is a Godly woman in the truest sense of the word.  Her faith in Him is unwavering. 
But people. . .

are saying things. . .

not necessarily to be unkind. . .

but without thinking.

Kind of like scene 1.

"It's not that bad."  "People go through this all the time."  "Oh, I remember when I had to do that--you'll get over it."
Maybe.

But that's not what someone wants to hear in the middle of a life-altering event.

I guess I've said all of that to say this. . .

God's word reminds us that our words are MORE POWERFUL THAN A TWO-EDGED SWORD.  That's pretty powerful.



And, once those "darts" have been released, they cannot be taken back.

Maybe you have been there, done that, and moved on.

Great!

But how about having a little compassion for those who haven't! 

Go back in your mind and think REALLY HARD about how you felt BEFORE the situation.  What did people say to you that made you angry???

Think before you speak.

Use your words to lift others up, not tear them down.

Be compassionate.


If you aren't sure what to say, don't say anything.  Just pray for that person & let them know that you are doing so.

To my sweet friend that I am sure will see this at some point, I love you.  I have no idea what you are going through.  But I know someone who truly does know all of your inner secrets.  I'm asking Him to give you exactly what you need over the coming weeks.  You know that I am here if you ever need anything.


3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Also know that God will put the right people in the path of those who are going through a hard time, I am glad it is you, you are truly a blessing,and you are right, sometimes people say things without having an inkling of an idea what they are saying, each vally that a person goes through is there own personal journey, it is best as I have heard to just say nothing at all, but be there for that person, but most importantly let them know that you are lifting them up in prayer, what greater words of comfort can be said. I love you my friend, you are truly a blessing to me. Trish.

Deidre said...

I know we all say things we don't mean or aren't sure how the other person will take. I guess the real trick is for us to not put so much stock into another person's words. I mess up a lot. My sarcasm gets me into trouble A LOT. But, our journey is just that ... ours. I have to remind myself that no one understands me but God. Heavens knows He gets all my quirkiness and need for affirmation. I must exhaust Him ;) (kidding).

I love you! Thank you SO MUCH for my survival kit. It means more than you know!

Anonymous said...

it breaks my heart to know that people in our school system is doing this to a child and their family. Im praying for you, praying for God to show you wisdom in both situations. Keep your head up! love ya
Leslie